The mission of the Academies is twofold:
- to spur the transformation of the San Antonio economy into one dominated by industries that emphasize high-skill, well-paid employment.
- to increase opportunities for young San Antonians to have rewarding, well-paid professional careers in San Antonio. The Academies will provide the talent pipelines that high-skill, high-wage industries need to thrive in San Antonio. They will do this by providing industry-driven dual-credit programs for high school juniors and seniors that prepare these students for higher education and for skilled employment in the participating industries.
The Academies' vision for succeeding in its mission is built on several basic principles:
- The Academies are a community partnership of businesses, the Cities of San Antonio, New Braunfels, Seguin, Boerne and Floresville, the Alamo Colleges, local universities, Workforce Solutions Alamo, the San Antonio Manufacturers Association. Port San Antonio, the Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce, and many other interested parties. The essence of the partnership is that each partner contributes to it and gains from it.
- The Academies are industry-driven workforce development initiatives designed to function as potent tools for economic development by training a workforce with the skills the participating industries need.
- The Academies aim to increase opportunities for young San Antonians to hold rewarding, well-paid jobs.
- The Academies also aim to increase the share of San Antonio high school students who graduate and go on to earn college degrees by providing college credits and exposure to occupations that demand a college education.
- The Academies are inclusive. All employers in the participating industries are welcome to join as participants. Students from across the San Antonio metropolitan area and surrounding communities are encouraged to enroll.
- The Academies combine rigorous academic instruction with real-world applications, including the summer internships that are part of the design of Aerospace, Information Technology & Security, Advanced Technology and Manufacturing and Health Professions Academies.