What is the FAFSA?
The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is the first step to apply for federal aid such as grants, loans, and work-study. The Department of Education will use the information provided on your FAFSA and forward to the college(s) listed to determine eligibility.
What will I need to fill out the FAFSA?
- Have the school codes and your PIN ready.
- Because the Alamo Colleges recommends applicants upload income tax information using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, please file previous year income tax for you and your spouse (if applicable ) two (2) weeks prior to completing the FAFSA.
- Depending on how you answer certain questions on the FAFSA, you may be considered a dependent student. In order to use the IRS Data Retrieval your parents will need to have filed their previous year income tax two (2) weeks prior to completing the FAFSA.
What if I or my parent(s) did not file taxes?
You will need to indicate on your FAFSA that you and/or your parents did not file. You may be asked to provide a non-tax filer statement verifying you and/or your parents did not file income tax for the previous year.
I don't live with my parents and/or they don't support me, why am I considered dependent?
Although you may not be financially dependent on your parents or living in the same household, if you do not meet FAFSA's criteria to be considered independent you will be considered a dependent student. To download an official FAFSA Dependency fact sheet click here.
Where can I get a copy of my prior year tax return?
You can request a tax return transcript by calling 1-800-829-1040 or from the IRS website.
If I have a question or need assistance while filling out my FAFSA who do I contact?
For questions regarding your FAFSA application call: 1-800-433-3243
Once I've filled out my FAFSA, do I need to forward anything to my college of choice?
No, as long as you include the correct school code your information will be electronically sent to the college. It is the applicants responsibility however to follow up with the college to make sure your FAFSA is received and check your ACES Financial Aid account to identify any other unsatisfied requirements.
Do I need to fill out the FAFSA every year?
Once the FAFSA is completed your application will cover one school year which includes the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. The FAFSA has to be renewed after January 1 of every year and will apply to the following school year.
Completing the FAFSA
Make sure and check the Financial Aid Priority Dates and Deadlines
2013 -14 Priority Dates and Deadlines
For assistance completing the FAFSA, view the 7 steps to complete the FAFSA tutorial
Before filling out your FAFSA
- Be sure you have completed the Apply Texas Application and provided a social security number on your application.
- Gather all biographical data (name, social security number, date of birth) and make sure it matches the data provided on your Apply Texas Application.
- Make sure the name you provide on your FAFSA is the same as shown on your social security card.
- The Alamo Colleges recommends students, parents, and spouses (if applicable) upload their income tax information using the IRS Data Retrieval tool when filling out the FAFSA. To use the tool all parties must file their income tax two (2) weeks prior to filling out the FAFSA.
After you fill out the FAFSA
- Please allow 2-3 weeks for the college to receive your FAFSA. After the college receives the FAFSA students should login to ACES and check for any additional requirements including verification.
- If selected, all verification requirements must be submitted and verification completed by the Student Financial Services office before an award will be determined.
- Be sure to print and review the SAR (Student Aid Report) to make sure all information is correct and address any notes that might be attached identifying "issues". All issues on your SAR must be corrected before the college can download your application.
Fill out your FAFSA now!
To begin filling out your FAFSA click on the link below. By doing so, you will be directed away from the Alamo Colleges website. After completing your FAFSA, be sure to come back to the Student Financial Services website to review all links under Filled Out FAFSA, What's Next?.