Distinguished Graduate Program
2014-2015 Application Period Opens November 24, 2014. Please check back for updates.
This initiative spotlights each SAC program during our annual graduation ceremony by honoring one outstanding student from those programs, called the “Distinguished Graduate.” Students receive special recognition at the ceremony by wearing a cord signifying their Distinguished Graduate status and through an announcement made when they cross the stage. Their diplomas are also marked to show that they have achieved this honor.
Students are required to apply through a process as outlined below and to complete service projects for the department and college designed to promote graduation.
Criteria for selecting the Distinguished Graduate (departments may add to these criteria):
1) Student must have a minimum GPA of 3.2.
2) Student must walk the graduation ceremony in May.
3) Student must participate in events to promote graduation.
Department’s choice must be:
1) A student meeting the criteria above with a major in the respective department.
2) If a department has more than one program, they may have that many Distinguished Graduates.
A student who meets the criteria must submit an application that includes:
1) An essay explaining how his/her experience at San Antonio College and within their major influenced/inspired the student's path to graduation.
2) A signed statement indicating that he/she is willing to participate in service projects that promote graduation and an understanding that failure to do so may result in the rescindment of his/her award (page 3 of the paper application).
3) A personal/academic biography that is 150-200 words. Please keep in mind when writing the biography that the biographies of the selected Distinguished Graduates will be published online. For examples, please see the links on the left hand side of this webpage.
4) An inspirational quote including the name of the original author.
Faculty members or Chairs direct students towards applying, or students approach faculty and/or Chairs about becoming a candidate. Students must meet graduation requirements for fall 2014, spring 2015 or summer 2015 and must plan to work on service projects from mid-February through mid-April of this academic year.
Applications will be available online and in paper format beginning November 24, 2014. Paper applications can be downloaded online and found in FAC 309 or in the academic departments.
Students must submit applications by January 27, 2015 to FAC 309, not to the department. If a student applies online, he/she does not need to submit a paper application.
Each department selects the winning candidate by February 4, 2015. Names should be submitted to the Office of the Vice President for Student Success in person to FAC 309 or by email to Diana Cruz at firstname.lastname@example.org and Chaye Pena at email@example.com by that time.
If an honoree does not complete their service commitment, the award will be rescinded by college administration, in consultation with the department chair.
Privileges of Honor
As a Distinguished Graduate, students will:
1) Receive a Graduation Cord;
2) Earn special recognition at the graduation ceremony;
3) Have their names added to the Distinguished Graduate Department Plaque;
4) Receive a formal certificate;
5) Receive a T-shirt;
6) Have their picture, biography, and inspirational quote featured on the SAC website;
7) Have their picture featured in The Ranger; and
8) Have a President's Reception in their honor.
For more information about the Distinguished Graduate Program, students can contact their academic department or The Office of the Vice President for Student Success via email to Diana Cruz at firstname.lastname@example.org or Chaye Pena at email@example.com.