Prior Learning Assessment provides students with a process to document alignment of experiences and skills with the learning outcomes of specific courses. Through the program available below, you will be guided through the portfolio development process. The completed portfolio will be reviewed by faculty in the program area to determine if credit will be awarded. Following are the general requirements for participation in the PLA process. If you have questions or need additional information, please contact the Academic Success Office at 210-486-0160.
- You must submit an application for admission at ApplyTexas to be enrolled in the Alamo Colleges PLA program.
- The cost for the portfolio development guide course and the portfolio:
- PLA 1002 - Self-Directed - $50
- The cost for each subject area portfolio credit course is $125.
- The textbook for the course is Earn College Credit for What You Know
by Janet Colvin (2012), which comes electronically with the class at no extra charge. You may purchase a hard copy at an additional cost of $ 14.95 for eBook or $29.95 for print. This option will be made available to you upon registration in the program.
- You can earn 6 hours of credit using PLA portfolio for a certificate program.
- You can earn 12 hours of credit using a PLA portfolio for a degree program.
- Credit hours earned through the PLA Process will be posted as CR and will not be included in a student's GPA computation; however the, semester credit hours are counted for graduation.
For the policies specific to your college, please check the catalog admissions section and review the section titled "Credit by Non-Traditional Means".