Are you interested in registering for an online course?
Online courses offer the convenience and flexibility of participating in a course without a formal schedule or location. However, it does require a unique set of skills and learning style. Before you enroll, you should be confident that your study habits, your learning style and computer skills match the online learning environment.
Therefore, if you are new to Internet Courses, you are required to enroll in a free "Orientation to Online Learning" mini-course. Complete the orientation before the semester starts by taking it in one of two formats: online or "Face-to- Face."
- Online Option: In ACES, register for the mini-course OLRN-0001 by selecting CRN #13322 for Summer Session 1 or the Eight-Week Summer Session or CRN #13323 for Summer Session 2.
- On-Campus Option: Sign up for a face-to-face orientation by completing this online registration form.
Succeeding in an online course
Your number one goal should be SUCCESS in your Online Course. Success in an online course is defined by:
1. Starting and ending the course.
2. Earning a "C" or better in the course.
Now let's hear from Alamo Colleges' students about what skills you will need to succeed online. Click each image to view the video.
Review the following list of requirements to assess your technology readiness to take online classes.
___ I know how to connect to the Web using a web browser.
___ I can navigate around the Web and know how to use search engines.
___ I know how to do basic word processing, including cutting and pasting.
___ I know how to open, save and manage files.
___ I have access to a computer 5-7 days per week.
___ I have 12-15 hours a week to work on each online class.
___ I can motivate myself to log in to the virtual classroom at least 5 days a week.
___ I have good reading comprehension and written communication skills, and I
enjoy communicating in writing.
If you can’t answer “Yes” to all of these questions, you may not be quite ready for online learning.
Is your computer ready for Internet Courses?
- Canvas, the LMS used for all online courses at the Alamo Colleges, works with all Internet browsers; however, we've found it operates best with Mozilla Firefox.
- In order to access your online course from ACES, you'll need to disable the pop-up blocker. Learn how to disable the pop-up blocker in your Internet browser by consulting the Technical Information page in the Canvas Quick Guide.
- Your course might use Flash components; update your Adobe Flash for best results.
- It is highly recommended that you have a broadband connection if you are working from home or off campus. Dial-up users will have varying success.