Parental support is vital for helping international students choose the college and degree program that best fits their educational goals. The office of international student services has provided the following information to assist parents with the transition to college and an international learning experience.
Benefits of studying in the United States
There are many benefits to an international education. Discovering the appropriate degree program at the Alamo Colleges will help your student:
- Gain greater self-confidence
- Enhance intellectual maturity
- Increase current knowledge of various cultures
- Improve overall communication ability
- Develop foreign language skills
- Broaden the sense of personal and collective responsibility
- Prepare for an increasingly global workforce
Benefits of studying at the Alamo Colleges
The Alamo Colleges offer international students a choice of five beautiful campuses where they can begin the pathway to their educational future. The Alamo Colleges support the 2+2 concept of higher education where students complete two years of study at one of our colleges and two years of study at a four-year college or university. Students studying with the Alamo Colleges receive:
- A wide range of degree programs
- State of the art facilities, class rooms, laboratories, and libraries
- Rigorous English as a second language courses
- Small class sizes
- Greater interaction among students and teachers
- The ability to transfer to a four-year college or university
- A diverse student body population
- Qualified instructors with Master’s and doctorate degrees in their fields
- Instructors with actual workforce experience in their fields
- Professional and knowledgeable International student services staff that cares
Staying in Contact with Your Student
Maintaining contact during your student’s international learning experience is crucial for you and your student. Technology provides a variety of easy and affordable options for sustaining the lines of communication. The list below provides some suggestions on how parents and students can stay in contact with each.
- Email – Email providers such as Yahoo and Google have a variety of free account options to choose from.
- Video calls – Skype and ooVoo offer free video chatting and instant messaging from your personal computer or laptop.
- Instant messaging – Students and parents can hold real-time conversations using services provided by a number of email providers such as Yahoo and Windows Live.
- Text messaging – Texting is an easy and fun way to connect instantly with your student. Text messaging plans varying across cellular phone providers.
- Cellular phone calls – Cell phones are currently one of the most common ways to hold conversations. Like text messaging plans, cellular calling plans varying across providers. It’s best to review the capabilities and allowances of your specific cellular plan.
- Telephone calls – Purchasing a rechargeable international calling card for your student can help make landline calls more affordable by offering discounted telephone calls from your home country to the United States,
- Postal mail – Letters, postcards, and notes from home will enhance your student’s learning experience and help make long term memories that will be treasured by the entire family.
Your student’s safety and well-being is our top priority. The Alamo Colleges Police Department provides law enforcement and security service to all of the Alamo Colleges and the surrounding geographical areas. The department has uniformed officers on patrol 24-hours a day, 365 days a year to ensure the continued safety of our colleges.