Grant Will Train Eagle Ford Shale Workers
The Alamo Colleges is partnering with Weatherford International Limited to provide job training using a $1.5 million Skills Development Fund grant from the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC).
The grant will be used to provide 673 new workers with technical training to operate oilfield equipment properly. Those trained will include field engineers, operators and technicians as well as mechanics and equipment operators. Upon completion of training, the workers will earn an average hourly wage of $17.34.
"The Alamo Colleges is proud to play a critical role in training the skilled workers companies such as Weatherford need to be competitive," said Alamo Colleges Chancellor Dr. Bruce Leslie. "These are the in-demand jobs that our area needs to benefit fully from the economic impact of the Eagle Ford Shale development," he added.
“Skills grants deliver customized training solutions that help Texas employers and workers succeed in the marketplace,” said TWC Chairman Andres Alcantar. “This investment builds not only employee skills, but the capabilities of our community colleges to the benefit of employers and the community. We are pleased to make this investment.”
“The Skills Development Fund will help Weatherford provide customized training opportunities for Texas workers to advance the skills needed to perform their daily jobs, as well as prepare them for the future of the industry,” said Weatherford US QHSSE Training Manager Gabe DeGabriele. “Most importantly, the training programs provided by the grant are instrumental in expanding Weatherford’s focus on providing a higher quality of operational performance while ensuring environmental safety beyond basic regulatory standards.”
Employers seeking more information about the Skills Development Fund may visit the TWC website at http://skills.texasworkforce.org. Those interested in applying for the training funded by this grant should apply at www.weatherford.com
Caption from left to right:
- Gary Shelman, Alamo Colleges, Dean of Technical and Career Education
- Dr. Bruce Leslie, Alamo Colleges, Chancellor
- Tyrone Johnson, Weatherford, Area Training Coordinator
- Andres Alcantar, TWC Chairman
- Gabe DeGabriele, Weatherford, U.S. QHSSE Training Manager
- Roger Yelton, Weatherford, Area Operations Manager, Texas Gulf Coast
- Dr. Jobie Tucker, Alamo Colleges, Director Workforce Administration
- Patrick Newman, Workforce Solutions Alamo Executive Director
- Dr. Federico Zaragoza, Alamo Colleges, Vice Chancellor of Economic and Workforce Development