Third / Permanent Academic Dismissal
What happens if I am placed on a 3rd / Permanent Academic Dismissal from the Alamo Colleges?
Students with three or more Academic Dismissals are not eligible to petition or enroll for a minimum one full Academic Year(Fall, Spring, Summer). After sitting out the required length of time, students must submit a typed petition to the appeals committee prior to the posted deadline. (see deadlines to the right)
Am I eligible to submit a 3rd / Permanent Academic Dismissal petition?
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR SUBMITTING PETITION
- MUST have sat out one full academic year from last Academic Dismissal. One full year is a Fall, Spring and Summer Semester.(Example: Last attended Spring 2012, eligible to petition for Fall 2013 semester.)
- Only eligible to petition for a regular 16 week semester (Fall or Spring).3rd / Permanent Academic Dismissal petitions are not accepted for summer semesters.
- MUST have an active application to the Alamo Colleges. If you have not attended an Alamo College in the last 12 months, you will need to submit a new application on application at www.applytexas.org.
- Must not have any holds on your record other than the Academic Dismissal hold. All other holds must be cleared/ waived in order for petition to be reviewed and processed.
o PLEASE NOTE: If you are under the age of 30, state law now requires you to provide proof of Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination. For more information visit :
How do I submit a 3rd / Permanent Academic Dismissal petition?
1. Ensure you meet ALL eligibility requirements listed above.
2. Complete the petition packet in full. Click here to download the Permanent Academic Dismissal Petition
3. You will need to download, complete and submit this form electronically. Please make sure to save it prior to submitting it.
• Include any relevant information or documentation.
• Please take time to reflect on what events, actions and decisions resulted in your current academic standing.
• Please make sure to address what changes you have made, and detail your plan to be academically successful.
• Essay MUST be typed. Handwritten essays will not be considered
4. Read AND understand all requirements on the checklist. If approved, you will be accountable for each item. Failure to meet these requirements may result in you being dropped from all courses for the semester.
5. Submit the petition. Email the completed document to the Retention Team Coordinator at : Cbrown1@alamo.edu.
How will I know the decision on my petition?
All decisions will be sent only to the student's ACES email. It is important to check this email on a regular basis to ensure you receive all communications from Alamo Colleges.
- You will be notified of this decision via ACES email only.
o The email will provide you several options for appointment times, and request you to respond with your appointment time of choice.
o During the appointment (30-45 minutes) you will complete the petition process, as well as go over your degree plan to prepare for registration.
You will be notified of the decision and reason via ACES email only.
What are my responsibilities as a student on a 3rd / Permanent Academic Dismissal from the Alamo Colleges?
Students who are approved for re-admission must continually earn a semester GPA of 2.0 or above until Good Standing (cumulative GPA of 2.0) is reached in order to remain enrolled.
In addition to the policies above, students may be required to reduce their course loads and/or enroll in a college success course that is designed to teach proven strategies for academic success.