The Intramural Sports program at NVC provides an opportunity for both men and women, faculty, staff and students to participate in a variety of individual and team recreational activities. Intramural activities are voluntary and exist because students want and enjoy them. The atmosphere is informal in order to encourage participation for enjoyment of the activity rather than superior performance abilities.
The Recreation Sports staff urges you to participate and have fun, make new acquaintances, improve your use of leisure time, and obtain beneficial exercise.
Intramural Sports Offered:
Co-ed 4 on 4 Basketball
Fall. Games will start Sept. 15, 2014
Co-ed 6 on 6 Volleyball
Fall. Games will start Sept 15, 2014
Co-ed 7 on 7 Indoor Soccer
Fall. Games will start Sept. 16, 2014
For more information please contact Fitness Center
Phone # 486-4612
To sign up for an Intramural League or event, you must fill out an Individual Event Entry Form. You can obtain one by either filling out an online form or picking one up at the Fitness Center desk in Huisache Hall.
If signing up as an individual, you will be placed on a team. Teams may consist of any currently enrolled student (full or part time), faculty or staff member. Roster sheets must be in on time - no exceptions - please stop by the Recreation Sports office or send us an email if you don't know what the deadlines are.
Schedules, standings and rosters will be posted on the Fitness Center bulletin boards (located in Huisache Hall) and Website after the last day of sign ups. Captains or a team representatives must attend the captain's meeting (if one is being held) for his or her league or event.
Responsibilities of the Captain
- Attend the Captains meeting (when one is being held, not all leagues have a team meeting).
- Validate Roster for eligibility by insuring all team members have valid NVC ID and current sticker.
- Maintain control of your team.
- Make sure team dresses properly, (correct footwear and clothing).
- Make sure team is on time for all scheduled contests/events.
- Responsible for team’s knowledge of the rules of the game, league or contest.
- Check the website or bulletin boards frequently for schedules, and league information.
- Serve as the voice of your team.
- Must be a current student (full or part time), faculty or staff member.
- Must have valid student ID card at all contests. Failure to have proper ID will result in the player not being eligible to play in the present contest.
- All Intramural/Recreation events and leagues are CO-ED (unless stated differently in the league rules).
- Any student who plays with a Club Sport team is not eligible to participate in any Intramural/Recreation activity that is the same as their sport they are currently playing. Example: a Club Sport basketball player can not participate in any Intramural basketball game while they are currently playing event, league or tournament that involves basketball.) Red shirts are eligible. Male and female soccer players are eligible for spring indoor games (limit 2 per team).
- If a team plays with an ineligible player, the team will be forced to forfeit the game, and the team or individual may be subject to suspension from further Intramural Activity.
- If any team forfeits more than two games or contests for any reason the team will be dropped from the league.
- Team captains are responsible for the eligibility of their players.
- All Players must be on an active Intramural roster to be eligible to play. No roster modifications may be made two weeks after the start of the league. All roster modifications must be approved by the Recreation Sports staff.
- The Recreation Sports staff reserves the right to change guidelines, policies or rules for fairness.
- If a team fails to report to a schedule contest they will receive a forfeit, the required number of players must be present by a maximum of 10 minutes after the competition is schedule to begin.
- After a team’s second forfeit they will be dropped from the league.
All leagues and events are free.
All Playoffs start at the conclusion of the regular season and are single elimination (unless stated differently in the league rules)
All teams that win an Intramural Championship either a league or event will receive an Intramural t-shirt. Other prizes may be predetermined before the start of the league or event.
Vulgar, obscene, abusive, derogatory and demeaning comments and gestures that are directed towards other players, supervisors or officials are not tolerated. Such comments and behaviors create a hostile environment, generate ill-will, place unnecessary pressure on participants, and contribute to a negative Intramural/Recreational experience. Violators will face suspension or exclusion from the program. Serious incidents or repeat abuses are subject to Student Code of Conduct.
Any player ejected from a contest or league will be prohibited to play in the team’s next competition (playoffs or regular season). Any player ejected more than once from a team in the same season will be expelled from their team for the remainder of the league including playoffs. Any team that has more than one ejection in a game will forfeit the game. Two forfeited games due to ejections results in the team being expelled from the league.
Players must abide by the following rules:
- Never use abusive language.
- Never threaten or abuse another player or intramural staff member
(before, during or after the game).
- Never participate in a game for which you are ineligible.
- Never argue or talk back to game supervisors or officials. Only the captain (or acting captain) may address game supervisors or officials concerning an interpretation of a rule or judgment.
- Never intentionally strike, push or trip another player, supervisor or official (DPS/police will be notified if any of these occur)
ANYONE PARTICIPATING IN ANY INTRAMURAL/RECREATION ACTIVITY MUST ABIDE BY ALL OF THE RULES STATED ABOVE - NO EXCEPTIONS