Welcome to Integrated Reading and Writing (INRW) at Northwest Vista College. We are here to help you build your reading and writing skills so that you can succeed in college level classes across all disciplines. The new INRW courses are INRW 0305 and 0420. These courses take the place of the former stand-alone reading and stand-alone writing courses, so that students who need these courses can complete them at an accelerated pace.
INRW = Integrated Reading and Writing
In the hopes of getting you into your college level classes more quickly and with a holistic approach to reading and writing, we offer you these courses:
INRW 0305 = ENGL 0300 + READ 0301
INRW 0420 = ENGL 0301 + READ 0302 & READ 0303
Educators from across the state have developed new, integrated outcomes for students taking the INRW courses to ensure that students headed to college courses can succeed. Your INRW faculty at Northwest Vista College is working hard to make sure we meet these criteria and help you reach your college and professional goals.
Student Outcomes for INRW from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board:
1. Locate explicit textual information, draw complex inferences, and describe, analyze, and evaluate the information within and across multiple texts of varying lengths.
2. Comprehend and use vocabulary effectively in oral communication, reading, and writing.
3. Identify and analyze the audience, purpose, and message across a variety of texts.
4. Describe and apply insights gained from reading and writing a variety of texts.
5. Compose a variety of texts that demonstrate reading comprehension, clear focus, logical development of ideas, and use of appropriate language that advance the writer’s purpose.
6. Determine and use effective approaches and rhetorical strategies for given reading and writing situations.
7. Generate ideas and gather information relevant to the topic and purpose, incorporating the ideas and words of other writers in student writing using established strategies.
8. Evaluate relevance and quality of ideas and information in recognizing, formulating, and developing a claim.
9. Develop and use effective reading and revision strategies to strengthen the writer’s ability to compose college-level writing assignments.
10. Recognize and apply the conventions of Standard English in reading and writing.
Please contact June Pedraza, English Chair at (210) 486-4831 or email email@example.com