Ruben Michael "Mike" Flores, Ph.D
President Dr. Mike Flores became Palo Alto College’s sixth president on September 19, 2012. Dr. Flores came to Palo Alto College – one of the Alamo Colleges – in 1999 and has held all three Vice President positions (Academic Success, College Services, and Student Services) during his tenure. During his time as president, Dr. Flores has led many new initiatives for the south San Antonio college. Providing access for the community to education has been key since the beginning for Palo Alto College, and Dr. Flores is committed to continuing partnerships with area businesses, community organizations, and schools to achieve that goal. Dr. Flores is also a leader to empowering students for success through a variety of resources on campus through high impact teaching and learning practices including usage of academic advising, learning communities, new student orientation, and problem-‐based learning. Other campus-‐wide changes that have taken place during Dr. Flores’ presidency:
- Palo Alto College’s first new degree offering in seven years – an Associate in Applied Science in Oil & Gas Technology, which began in Fall 2013
- The establishment of the Center for Mexican American Studies in Spring 2014, the first in the Alamo Colleges and one of only two at the community college level in Texas
- Four early college high school partnerships in Fall 2014 with Harlandale Independent School District, Jourdanton Independent School District, Lytle Independent School District, New Frontiers Charter School, Poteet Independent School District, Somerset Independent School District, and Southside Independent School District
- A new Participatory Budgeting annual program, established in 2013, where faulty and staff submit ideas to be voted on by their peers for funding and implementation
- Continuous improvement journey utilizing Baldrige criteria to improve programs and services. Most recent efforts by faculty and staff resulted in the Palo Alto College being awarded the 2015 Texas Award for Performance Excellence, one of only three award winners in the state, the only educational organization to win the award since 2011, and the first in higher education to win since 2007.
Dr. Flores currently serves as an Achieving the Dream Data Coach and has served as a fellow with the American Council on Education, the Hispanic Association of Colleges & Universities, and conducted postgraduate study at the Harvard University Institute for Educational Management. In 2013, he was named the Northside Independent School District (NISD) “Pillar of Responsibility”, one of the six annual Pillars of Character awarded to outstanding NISD graduates. In 2015, Dr. Flores received the Education Award at the annual La Prensa Foundation’s annual Diamond Award Gala.
Dr. Flores has also worked with numerous community-‐based organizations in San Antonio, Houston, and Chicago, and presented nationally at numerous higher education conferences regarding student engagement, evaluation and performance excellence. Dr. Flores currently serves as a board member for the Hispanic Association of Colleges & Universities, Communities in Schools San Antonio, San Antonio Education Partnership, Hot Wells Park Conservancy, and San Antonio Youth Yes (SAY Sí) Leadership Council.
President's Bio as PDF