|What is the Emergency Medical Technician program?
The Emergency Medical Services Degree program prepares competent entry-level Emergency Medical Technician Basic and Paramedic students in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills) and affective (behavior) learning domains.
EMT training is a natural entry into the world of medicine. Students will become proficient in emergency pre-hospital care of the sick and injured in the field and hospital emergency department environment.
|What can I do with this course of study?
The EMT-Basic represents the first response of the emergency medical system. An EMT trained at this level is prepared to care for patients at the scene of an accident and while transporting patients by ambulance to the hospital under the direction of more highly trained medical personnel. The EMT-Basic has the emergency skills to assess a patient's condition and manage respiratory, cardiac, and trauma emergencies. All Texas firefighters are required to obtain EMT-Basic training.
Paramedics provide more extensive pre-hospital care than do EMTs. In addition to carrying out the procedures of the other levels, paramedics administer medications orally and intravenously, interpret electrocardiograms (EKGs), perform endotracheal intubations, and use monitors and other complex equipment. Paramedics can become supervisors, operations managers, administrative directors, or executive directors of emergency services. Some EMTs and paramedics become instructors, dispatchers, or physician assistants; others move into sales or marketing of emergency medical equipment. A number of people become EMTs and Paramedics to test their interest in healthcare before training as registered nurses, physicians, or other health workers. Earnings of EMTs and Paramedics depend on the employment setting and geographic location of their jobs, as well as their training and experience. The lowest 10% of wage earners had a salary of $19,710 and the highest $51, 370. All 50 States require EMTs and Paramedics to be licensed, but the levels and titles vary from State to State.
|What's special about program?
The Emergency Medical Services degree program offers the only AAS Paramedic Degree in the San Antonio metropolitan area. It also offers a college Certificate Level II in Paramedic and a Marketable Skills certificate in EMT-Basic, all at competitive prices.
The A.A.S. degree and Certificate Level II program are accredited by Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
25400 U.S. Highway 19 North, Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
• The EMS program at San Antonio College does not offer Internal Examination for Credit Hours for any core EMSP courses.
• The EMS program will accept EMT-Basic National Registry Examination or state of Texas EMT-Basic credentials as proof of EMT-Basic education in lieu of EMSP 1501 and EMSP 1260.
• The EMS program will accept EMT-Paramedic National Registry Examination or state of Texas EMT-Paramedic credentials toward an AAS Paramedic degree as proof of EMT-Paramedic education in lieu of the program’s EMSP paramedic courses.
• No credit is accepted by the EMS program for Experiential Learning.
Emergency Medical Technician Applications
EMT Basic Application is now open for students who have already completed and
passed MDCA 1313 or HITT 1305 Medical Terminology with a grade of C or better.
Students who apply without MDCA 1313
or HITT 1305 will not be considered.
EMT Basic Application
EMT Paramedic Application is now open .
All applicants must have the following:
Must have already
completed and passed MDCA 1313 or HITT 1305 Medical Terminologyand BIOL 2404 with a grade of “C”
EMT Paramedic Application
Please note prior to attending the mandatory informational session the following must be completed:
1. Complete Apply Texas prior to your EMT/Basic/Paramedic informational session.
2. You MUST be fully enrolled in San Antonio College. Where do I begin? AlamoENROLL Click here
3. Once you have completed the online application an automatic email will be sent to you indicating the dates and time of the session. Please check your ALAMO.EDU email.
4. After the informational session each student will be advised individually. Plan your time accordingly; sessions may last all day.