The Walter McAllister Society is a society of distinguished friends and alumni of San Antonio College who promote academic excellence and student success through financial involvement. The members of the McAllister Society give at least $1,000 annually to San Antonio College through the Alamo Colleges Foundation.
The Society was established in 2010 to provide an opportunity for companies and individuals to become more connected with San Antonio College. Members contribute to a fund that provides scholarships to deserving students and contributes to the general support of SAC programs and initiatives.
The name comes from life-long supporters of San Antonio College, W.W. McAllister, Sr. and W.W. McAllister, Jr.. Members of the Society understand and support the College's mission to educate the needs of our growing multicultural community.
The McAllister family and San Antonio College share a special history. Walter W. McAllister, Sr. was elected to the Board of Trustees of what was then call San Antonio Junior College in 1945 and by 1952, was the Board's chair. When Mr. McAllister joined the San Antonio City Council in 1960, the trustees selected Walter Mcallister, Jr. to take his father's seat on the board, and he gave much of his time and effort over the following two decades to make sure that San Antonio College and St. Phillip's College had the resources they needed to provide excellence in higher education in our city. He "took to the streets" to knock on doors of property owners near the two campuses and made honest and sincere bids for land, for support of the colleges and for the future community colleges in San Antonio.
The Walter McAllister Society was founded by Mrs. Edith McAllister, Mr. William Sinkin, and Mrs. Sue Oppenheimer. Membership in the Walter McAllister Society will help San Antonio College in many ways, including:
- Providing scholarship funds for deserving students - some who have no other means of financial support to further their education.
- Providing support for academic programs.
- Enabling SAC to obtain state-of-the-art technology and instructional materials so that graduates entering the workforce or another educational institution are prepared to be successful.
- Inspiring others in our community to greater gifts of support to San Antonio College
Members of the Walter McAllister Society are provided with a number of annual benefits, such as:
- A members - only back-to-school reception in September.
- Invitations to special events on campus, such as the President's Annual Holiday Brunch at the Koehler Cultural Center in December and our FACES speaker series.
- Recognition in college publications throughout the year.
- Four tickets to a student performance in one of our performing arts disciplines (theatre or music).
- Two tickets to a Friday-night SAC Planetarium show.
- A subscription to The Ranger, San Antonio's award winning student newspaper.
- A quarterly letter from the president to members highlighting how the support of McAllister Society members has impacted the College and our students.
- An annual luncheon.
For more information on becoming a member, contact Imelda Treviño, Alumni and Friends Coordinator, at 210-486-1386, or email firstname.lastname@example.org