ProRanger is a new academic and internship based intake program for National Park Service Law Enforcement Rangers. This two-year program is a collaborative partnership between the San Antonio College and the NPS. ProRanger provides training and professional development during the school year and paid NPS internships during the summer. We will help you explore the NPS, develop skills and abilities and provide you with the necessary experience toward becoming a full-time NPS employee. If you are looking for a career – not just a job, if you are willing to push and challenge yourself more than the average student, if you want to be the next generation of NPS Rangers – then apply to be a ProRanger.
Applicants to ProRangers should be dedicated, serious individuals who can demonstrate their potential in and outside the classroom. To be eligible for the ProRanger program you must be:
- US citizen or national
- At least 19 years of age and no older than 37 years of age (veterans exempted)
- Enrolled student in an accredited undergraduate program (open to a wide variety of programs and certificates)
- Meet (at the conclusion of the program) medical and physical fitness standards (contact ProRanger Director for details)
- Have a favorable background check (including security clearance, drug tests and criminal history)
- Willing to make a two-year commitment to ProRangers
Requirements for Participation
- Remain in good academic standing (2.5 GPA or higher) with at least half-time course load
- Participate in the program in consecutive semesters including summer
- Participate in workshops, seminars and professional development activities during the academic year
- Participate in summer internships including professional development
- Willing to relocate and travel during summer internships
- Achieve satisfactory yearly performance reviews
The ProRangers selection process requires an Application Packet. The packet gives you an opportunity to provide additional information and input to help us understand your overall personality and potential. The packet should convey your knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and help us understand why you are a ProRanger candidate. Following the review of packets, applicants may receive an invitation to interview and give a presentation to the selection committee.
Packet must include:
- Application (one page ProRanger form)
- Transcript (unofficial or official current academic transcripts required)
- One page Cover Letter indicating your desire and qualifications to be a ProRanger (open format)
- Resume (open format)
- Questionnaires completed (questions provided)
- Open category – accomplishments, reviews, graphics, pictures, etc. that convey who you are – be creative (up to 4 pages, open format) -Awards and pictures may be reduced to maximize space
- 3 letters of recommendation: one educational, one family and one from another category (utilize ProRanger Letter of Recommendation form)
The application is a one page form that covers the basic information.
Personal Information – If you have reservations about providing any of the information please contact the ProRanger Director to discuss.
Reference Information – Either fill out the High School Information or the Transfer School information but not both. If you have been accepted and enrolled in a college or university please fill out the Transfer School section.
The cover letter is an open format – you may use a format that you are most comfortable with. The cover letter is your opportunity to share more about your desire and qualifications to be a ProRanger. Please include additional pertinent information such as time constraints, special concerns or requirements.
The resume is an open format - – you may use a format that you are most comfortable with. The resume should be no more than two pages long and should include the most current and pertinent information.
The questionnaire is a chance for you to share a little more about you and what you have accomplished and what you want to do. These are short answers – no more than 200 words. They only need to be as long as necessary for you to answer the question. There are no “Right” answers but all of your answers should be honest, thoughtful and reflect who you are – not someone else.
This is a category that provides a place for you to share additional accomplishments, reviews, graphics, pictures, etc. that convey who you are. You are encouraged to be creative and share what you are proud of. This section can be up to 4 pages long. Awards and pictures may be reduced to maximize space.
These Letters provide valuable information from different perspectives and help the selection committee learn more about you. We recommend that you use the ProRanger Recommendation form but other forms or formats may be used if preferred.
Each applicant is required to provide 3 letters of recommendation:
- one educational – From a teacher or professor that is familiar with your academic performance
- one family – From a family member or friend that can serve as a character reference and tell us more about your best qualities, talents and abilities
- one from another category - Professional (someone you work with), Civic group, Ecclesiastical, or some other category