What is Phi Theta Kappa?
Phi Theta Kappa, founded in 1918, is recognized as the official honor society for two-year colleges by the American Association of Community Colleges. Among the Society's distinguished alumni are the late Ambassador Jeane Kirkpatrick, astronaut Fred Haise, and journalist Jim Lehrer. The purpose of Phi Theta Kappa shall be to recognize and encourage scholarship among two-year college students. To achieve this purpose, Phi Theta Kappa shall provide opportunity for the development of leadership and service, for an intellectual climate for exchange of ideas and ideals, for lively fellowship for scholars, and for stimulation of interest in continuing academic excellence.
We are the PSI KAPPA CHAPTER of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society at St. Philip's College. We are a Five Star Chapter. We earned this honor in March 2010 and have maintained our status for 4 years consecutively. We welcome you to our Chapter and encourage you to take advantage of all the opportunities, we salute our members for their your accomplishments, and charge them to explore always for truth and to dedicate themselves to the cultivation of the well-reasoned life, a prelude to service and honor!
Why do I want to be a member?
Membership in Phi Theta Kappa is a permanent recognition of your hard work and academic achievement. That is why membership in Phi Theta Kappa is a special honor. Your membership will be recognized by colleges, universities, and potential employers. Benefits include an exclusive professional development plan, leadership opportunities, 24/7 Transfer help, more than $37 million in scholarships from over 700 colleges and universities, and much more.
Phi Theta Kappa provides unique opportunities for:
- Leadership opportunities
- Service to others
- Scholarship opportunities
- Fun and fellowship!
What are the qualifications?
Membership is based on superior academic achievement and is conferred only by invitation of Psi Kappa Chapter of St. Philip's College. You must have completed at least twelve college hours with a minimum
cumulative 3.5 grade point average.
The Chapter is very involved not only within the chapter but the college and community. Below are a few agencies that the members of the chapter have given back. This Spring 2015 semester, the members provided over 1,500 hours of service.
- Habitat for Humanity
- Wounded Warriors
- Davidson Respite House
- Fisher House
- Martin Luther King March
- Spurs Sports & Entertainment
- Animal Defense League
- MDA Walk
- Juvenile Diabetes Walk
- Relay for Life
- Susan G Komen
- Meals on Wheels
- Fishing Under the Bridge
- AngelFood Ministries
- Botanical Garden
- MLK Park Clean-up
FALL COMMON APPLICATION: If you plan to graduate with your associate degree or transfer to a four-year college or university at the end of this academic year, you do not want to miss this opportunity! Nearly $350,000 will be awarded through scholarships on the Fall Common Scholarship Application. The scholarships offered on the Fall Common Application include; Hites Transfer Scholarship, Guistwhite Scholarship Program, GEICO Pathway to Completion Baccalaureate Scholarship, All-USA Community College Academic Team, Coca-Cola Community College Academic Team, Coca-Cola New Century Scholars, and All-State Community College Academic Team. Application opens early fall and closes December 2015. Visit www.ptk.org to apply.
SUMMER 2015 Activities
We invite you to volunteer with our chapter this summer! Calendar of Events
The Psi Kappa is honored to have great scholars in our chapter. We congratulate them and the successes of the chapter.
Member Awards for 2015
- Harry Staley - recipient of the Texas Business Hall of Fame/Whataburger Scholarship $15,000
- Hannah Mahaffey - serving as an alternate as the Student Board of Trustee
- Dr. Paul Machen - recipient of the Texas Regional Hall of Honor Distinguished Administrator
- Maria G Botello - Continued Excellence Award for Advisors
- John Munoz - inducted into the District V Hall of Honor for the Texas Region
- Jay McCoy - inducted into the District V Hall of Honor for the Texas Region
- James Mick - inducted into the District V Hall of Honor for the Texas Region
- Cassandra Alderete - inducted into the District V Hall of Honor for the Texas Region
- Hannah Mahaffey - inducted into the District V Hall of Honor for the Texas Region
- Cassandra Alderete - recipient of The President's Volunteer Service Award from Washington, D.C.
- Maria G Botello - Texas Region Appreciation Award
- Hannah Mahaffey - 5 Star Member
- Cassandra Alderete - 5 Star Member
Chapter Awards for 2015
- Hallmark Awards program
- Communication Award
- Honors in Acton and College Project Award
- 5 Star Chapter
Join us on Tuesday, July 21st from 10am - 12:30pm at the campus Heritage Pavilion for our Snow Cone Summer Fundraiser. The chapter will be selling a variety of flavors. We welcome you to volunteer with us at this event. For more information, contact Cassandra Alderete at email@example.com. View the FLYER for more information.
For more information, contact:
- Advisor: Maria G Botello
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Location: Sutton Learning Center, Suite 102F
- Phone: 210-486-2199