This 3-part series is an exploration of the nature of taste, wine and food pairing. In this class we'll train your senses to understand the subtle reasons why some flavors work together and others do not. Then we'll examine the way wine and food pairings are altered by cooking methods, textures and sauces. Lastly, we'll Go Texan by focusing on Texas wines and how to get ranch food to go with wine.
- Session 1: Aperitifs: Getting off on the Right Fork - Focus your senses with our taste experiment. Then, compare a series of appetizers with a range of wines to learn how to start your next party. features Chef Steve's Sambaviche, finalist in last year's Chefs Under Fire competition.
- Session 2: Multi-Sensory Dining - Taste how pairings are altered by cooking method, texture and sauces. Learn Chef Steve's rules for refining your menu to work with the seasons and the wines.
- Session 3: Going Texan! Ranch Grub and Texas Wines - How to train chiles, spices, and smoke to play nice with wine. If weather permits, we'll take it outside.
It is highly recommended that students have completed our Basic Elements of Taste, Wine and Food Pairing class or have previous experience with the fundamentals of food and wine pairing.
About the Instructor:
Chef Steve Crisler, Certified Executive Chef and Winedude, was born with barbecue in one hand and a bottle of Screaming Eagle in the other. Not content to beg for wine in Texas, he went to the source working in the San Francisco Bay Area. He’s an honors grad of the California Culinary Academy and once owned the third largest catering company in Silicon Valley. A specialist at wine and food pairing, Chef Steve has spent many years and many cases of wine to understand the complex balance of why wine and food go together. For the Fairmont Hotel, Chef Steve created 50 eight-course dinner menus for 75 different wineries without duplicating a single menu. His career has spanned the globe in an unerring search for that perfect match.
Now, he’s happy to be home and sharing with the students of St. Philip’s College. Come learn his systematic approach to marrying wine and food because it’s more fun than you think. Sign up now before it’s too late.
Big reds and Barbecue forever!
- Please check back soon for upcoming dates
- $185 per person, includes all three sessions; wine and food included
- Must be paid at least 3 days prior to the first day of class
How to Register:
- Take advantage of the student self-service registration which allows you to register yourself from any computer with internet access.
- Use this registration guide to enroll in the course.