SACSCOC Substantive Change Policy
The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACS-COC) Policy Statement defines a substantive change as a “significant modification or expansion of the nature and scope of an accredited institution, to include,” but not limited to:
- The addition of courses or programs that represent a significant departure, either in content or method of delivery, from those that were offered when the institution was last evaluated
- The addition of courses or programs at a degree or credential level above that which is included in the institution’s current accreditation or reaffirmation
- A substantial increase in the number of clock or credit hours awarded for successful completion of a program
There are three procedures for addressing the different types of changes:
- Procedure I: Notification and Approval prior to implementation
- Procedure II: Notification ONLY prior to implementation
- Procedure III: Approval of consolidations and mergers
Additional information on substantive changes can be located on the SACS-COC website. In addition, answers to frequently asked questions can be accessed at Substantive Changes FAQs.
SACSCOC Substantive Change Procedural Links
Please access the links below for timelines and procedures for each type of change.
If the change requires the submission of a prospectus, please access the prospectus documents below for procedures in submitting a prospectus.
Submit all questions and concerns to the Accreditation Liaison, Rhonda Johnson at 210-486-2379 or firstname.lastname@example.org.