FAQs and Steps to Complete Verification
The U.S. Department of Education requires a portion of all FAFSA applicants go through a process to review the information provided on the FAFSA. This process is called verification. The selection process is random and those selected are required to complete the verification process before eligibility can be determined.
How do I Know if I was selected for the Verification Process?
- Look for an “asterisk *” on the SAR (Student Aid Report) sent to the e-mail address you provided on your FAFSA. Click here for a sample.
- Your ACES wil lalso list unsatisfied requirements (as red flags) in the Financial Aid Checklist section of the 'Start Here' tab.
What if I was not selected?
If you are not selected you could still be asked to provide other information to complete your file (ex. Citizenship or Selective Service confirmation). Your ACES Financial Aid Checklist displays any required documents or additional information needed.
What unsatisfied requirements will I see in ACES?
The financial aid office will post all required documents to your ACES account under the Financial Aid Checklist section of the 'Start Here' tab.
What is a tax return transcript?
A tax return transcript is an official document from the IRS listing all income tax information. Information on how to obtain a transcript is listed below.
Can I submit a 1040 or tax transcript from a third party agency (H&R Block, Turbo Tax)?
No. Only an official tax return transcript can be accepted.
How long does verification take to process?
If you submitted your completed verification documents by the Priority Date, your documents will be reviewed and eligibility determined before classes begin.
For students who are not priority applicants, the verification process can take up to six (6) weeks. Visit the Priority Date page for more information on non-priority date applicants.
How can I monitor the status of my verification?
Once documents are submitted you can monitor the status of verification by going to the Financial Aid Checklist section of the 'Start Here' tab in ACES.
Steps to complete Verification
1. View tutorial on how to obtain documents in ACES
2. Access ACES
3. Complete the fillable PDF(s) and print
4. If asked to submit tax return transcripts, these can be ordered online at the IRS Website
5. Submit all requested documents (in person, fax, mail, or scan and email) to the college where you are applying for financial aid. Remember to bring appropriate proof of identity if required to complete the Identity and Statement of Educational Purpose form. For office hours and fax numbers click here.
6. Click here for a list of all the Priority Dates and Deadlines
7. September 1 is the Final Date to submit verification documents for the most recently ended Fall/Spring/Summer term applications
Avoid the common mistakes when submitting documents
- Missing documents
- Unsigned documents
- Unreadable documents
- Incomplete documents
- Issues with your FAFSA
- Changes to your FAFSA after submitting your documents
- Incorrect information (Name, SSN, Date of Birth)
- No Banner ID on documents