Goal + Plan = Success
The Alamo Colleges is pleased to announce the release of Alamo GPS, a web-based tool to help students and advisors monitor a student's progress toward degree completion.
Alamo GPS combines the Alamo College’s degree requirements and the coursework completed into an easy-to-read worksheet that helps see how courses completed count toward degree requirements and what courses and requirements still need to be completed. This system is designed to aid and facilitate academic advising, but is not intended to replace face-to-face advising sessions.
Benefits of Alamo GPS
- Supports real time delivery of degree completion information through intuitive web self-service interfaces
- Allows advisors to search for students by school, degree, and/or major to view degree progress
- Online environment reduces paperwork and manual degree checklists
- Increases productivity between academic and student services departments across campus
- Long-term planning potential. Example: To evaluate which course requirements students still need and use that data to plan course offerings. Alamo GPS comes with a standard set of reports that will be helpful for data analysis.
- Audit – online document that lists all degree requirements and courses taken / needed by core and major blocks. Form can be saved as PDF and printed.
- Advisor Notes - enables advisors to easily document meetings and advice given
- What If – allows students to “try on” all the majors of the Alamo Colleges. Shows students how progress towards degree completion changes if they change majors
- Look Ahead - dynamically shows how degree progress is affected by future planned courses
- Planner – maps out semester by semester enrollment plan through graduation
- GPA Calculator - allows students to assess the impact on GPA for a variety of scenarios and helps students set long-term general goals.
Alamo GPS is available to students who were admitted to the Alamo Colleges since Fall 2009, and students pursuing a degree/major through the Fall 2010 or later catalog. Students will continue to meet with their academic advisor concerning degree progression. Alamo GPS may be accessed through ACES; no additional username or password is needed. For students, a current audit will load automatically once Alamo GPS is accessed. Advisors must enter the student’s Banner ID number.
The degree audits produced by Alamo GPS are dependent on a student’s major/concentration. Data is extracted from the Banner System into Alamo GPS. Any request to change degree program information (majors/concentrations) or a student’s catalog term will not be reflected in Alamo GPS until the request is completed by enrollment services.Anyone with the Alamo GPS advisor role can use the Refresh button at any time to update a student’s audit once the requested change is completed.
Students following a catalog prior to Fall 2010 may use the “What-If option” and select a major from the drop-down list, to view a full degree audit.These students may also use the Planner and GPA Calculator functions.
Review the FAQs, Help and Tutorials available on the left hand links of this site or the instructions available under the Help tab on each page in Alamo GPS. If further assistance is needed, see an advisor or enrollment services on your campus.