The Testing Center is a partner in the enrollment process and before registering for your first college course, you must take the TSI Assessment. The TSI Assessment is used to determine whether the student meets the requirements for the Texas Success Initiative (TSI). If you are a transfer student or a returning student, please check with the Testing Center staff to determine course placement. All students who plan to enroll at St. Philip’s College must complete an ApplyTexas application,complete the AlamoEnroll modules and have a Banner ID# to test. Your Banner ID is generated from your Apply TX application and can be located by accessing the Banner ID lookup Tool.
What is the TSI Assessment?
As of August 26, 2013, an institution of higher education shall use the TSI Assessment as the only approved assessment instrument for all students attending a public college. The state mandated program is designed to help determine if you are ready for college-level course work in the general areas of reading, writing and mathematics. The TSI Assessment minimum passing standards for college readiness are: Mathematics score ≥ 350, Reading score ≥ 351, and Writing essay score ≥ 5 or essay score of 4 and multiple choice ≥ 363. Students who score below the cut scores are placed in the appropriate developmental course and will need to earn a "C" or better.
TSI Student Informative Brochure
Am I exempt from the TSI Assessment?
All students not meeting the exemptions, exceptions, and waivers (see table 1) as defined must take the TSI Assessment as a diagnostic tool to determine reading, writing, and mathematics basic skills. All students who qualify for an exemption, exception or waiver must complete the GO FAARR module and bring the appropriate documentation to the Testing Center.
What to do prior to testing
- Get started by viewing - Introduction to College & Alamo Institutes module at www.alamo.edu/alamoenroll
- Your next step is to review - Financing Your Future
- Start your application by reviewing Ready, Set, Apply & click on the Apply Texas icon
- Check your email to learn how to access your ACES online student portal
- Submit your official high school transcript, official GED certificate or official college transcript(s)
- Go to our college website www.alamo.edu/spc and login to ACES (Please note that you must use the Mozilla Firefox Browser in order for the modules to operate)
- Select the “Start Here” tab, checklist items 1, 2, and 3 must be completed before you are eligible to test
- Click on the “ENROLL” button to begin & complete the GO FAARR module
- Click on the “ENROLL” button to begin & complete the Test Prep module
- A score of 6 out of 10 is required on the end of module quizzes
- When items 1, 2, & 3 on the checklist are complete, schedule your testing appointment.
* Non Alamo College students must complete a pre-assessment activity and submit proof of completion prior to taking the TSI Assessment at any of our test sites.
Special Testing Needs
Special Testing Needs: Students with documented disabilities may qualify for testing accommodations on the TSI Assessment. Documentation must be presented to the Disability Support Services (DSS) Office in advance. For more information regarding documentation requirements, students may call DSS at 210-486-2199 or 210-486-2295.
What do I need the day of the test?
- You must have a valid photo ID
- You must have an application on file at one of the Alamo Colleges
- You will need your Banner ID
- You will need the fee for the test or a payment receipt (see Test Fees)
- All students need to complete the GO FAARR and Test Prep modules prior to testing
- Remember the following items are prohibited in the test center lab(s) and will be secured in a designated locker: cell phones (possession or use during the test session), calculators, hats and headwear (except those for religious purposes), food or drinks, printed or hand written material(s), unauthorized aids, or watches.
How are test scores used?
Your test scores are used to determine:
- What courses you are eligible to enroll in
- How much time it will take to complete your degree
- How much your college education will cost
Students who fall below the minimum placement scores in reading, writing, and mathematics will be placed in developmental education courses for each subject area in which college readiness is not demonstrated. This results in you spending more semesters in college.
TSI ASSESSMENT FEE:
Initial testing: $32
Entire Test: $135
| Initial testing: $32
Per test: $20
Each Section: $33.75
Assessment Retest Policy
A student may retake the TSI Assessment at any time, subject to availability, to determine the student's readiness to perform entry-level freshman coursework.
Correspondence and Distance Learning Exams
What to do prior to testing:
• Correspondence Testing slots are Tuesday 9am-3pm (test to be completed by 5pm) and Wednesday 9am-5pm (test to be completed by 7pm).
• Have your instructor send your test requirements and test materials to email@example.com.
• Confirm with your instructor that your test materials and/or test password(s) have been sent to the SPC Testing Center.
• Confirm with the SPC Testing Center, Maria Mancillas 210-486-2532, that the materials have been received and you can confirm the test date.
• A valid Photo ID is required.
• Bring receipt of fee payment if you pay via the Virtual Business Office, please ensure it is SPC you select. Cash payment will be accepted on the day of the exam.
• Proceed to Testing Center located in the Welcome Center in Room 207B.
• The student's external or correspondence exams will be administered according to the prescribed regulations set by the home institution regarding use of notes, books, calculators, time limit, passwords and items necessary to proctor.
Testing Correspondence Fee: $20.00 per test