About the Center of Excellence for Science
This Center of Excellence (COE) is a cooperative effort based on community outreach, business and workforce partnerships, university transfer, college prep, and teacher professional development programs. Our center is a response to workforce needs for trained workers for high paying careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
Centers of Excellence are hosting their annual STEM youth summer programs and
are seeking participation from a variety of community members. Faculty are
being sought to join the instructional team, college students are needed to
support faculty and staff and children are invited to apply to the various
1. Science and Math Summer Academy
(SAMSA). Mon - Thurs, July 10 - 27,
2017. 9am - 4 pm. St. Philip’s College: Southwest
SAMSA is a
three week program that focuses on expanding education and workforce pipelines
by engaging 11-15 year old children with project based learning, field trips and
guest speakers. Learn more
2. Lego Robotics. Mon - Friday, July 31 - Aug 4. St. Philip’s
College: Southwest Campus
to 8th grade students will learn how to design, build and program
mini-robots using the Lego EV3 platform.
STEM Academic Disciplines
Health Sciences Mathematics
Applied Electrical and Mechanical Technology Business Information Solutions
Aircraft, Construction & Manufacturing Natural Sciences
Scholarships & Career Development
- Summer Internship Opportunities.. If you are a St. Philip’s College student majoring in any of the above STEM areas, you are eligible to apply for summer 2017 internship opportunities. Student selected as interns will receive a stipend based on work performed with faculty members in the delivery of educational STEM activities by Centers of Excellence as part of its community outreach for STEM education . Applications will be accepted until all 20 internship opportunities are filled.
- The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), in conjunction with the college's Quality Enhancement Plan, encourages undergraduate students to enter their essay competition that focuses on the intersection of science and/or technology with human rights. Deadline is April 30, 2017. How to Enter
- Special Projects Club is seeking new members to join their organization to assist in building, Tiger 1, an electric car project. The club is seeking students with skills in engineering, mechanics, and data analysis. They are also seeking assistance with public relations, management, fundraising and networking.
- Student Engagement Grant is offered to students who are interested in joining the Centers of Excellence in their efforts to expanding STEM college and career awareness.
- AAAS Mass Media Science and Engineering Fellows student-scientists and their host-journalists strive to make science news easy for the public to understand. 10 weeks, $5000.
- Fastweb: High seniors and current college students
- Women Breaking Through (Saturday, Oct 14, 2017). WBT is an annual conference for teenage girls who are interested in pursuing academic and professional careers in STEM. REGISTER HERE
- CORE 4 STEM Family Day (Nov 5, 2017). The event is coordinated to inspire 6-9 grade students and their families pursue STEM degrees and careers.
- STEM Symposium (Dec 1, 2017). This symposium is a single element in establishing a robust, sustainable framework for communicating the needs and interests of the greater San Antonio area.
- GreenEnergy and Engineering Day (Feb 24,2018). The Centers host engaging STEM activities for fifth through twelfth grade students.
- Saturday Robotics (July-Aug 2017). This activity is designed for 4th-8th grade students to explore robotic design, construction and programming using Lego EV3 robots.
- Science and Math Summer Academy (July, 2018). SAMSA offers 11-15 year old students the opportunity to see math and science in action.
Research Internship Opportunities
Please click on the links below to learn the latest developments for each of these opportunities.
- Campus to Careers - The National Council for Science and the Environment Clearinghouse enables students to search for environmental internships.